Saturday 24 March 2012

Working girl

Five weeks at University of Western Australia gone in a flash. Cycling around lovely river front (around because, in Perth the Swan River makes like a lake or the sea when the wind is up  or a swimming pool in certain jelly fish free spots.) On some days I walk to work through Kings Park looking down on my cycle ride views, seeing birdlife and hoping snakes won’t be out early in the morning. They weren’t.

Arriving at UWA’s gorgeous campus, flat white at Neds. Into the office to collect my blue clipboard, recording device and the interview forms for the day. The blue clipboard is how my interviewees recognise me. Off to the fabulous university club, where I have temporary membership and an account that I don’t have to pay. More coffee – I’ll sign for that please.

Asking people about their careers and lives is great – they love to talk and I’ve been told some things that, in some cases, no-one else at UWA knows. That’s a sad reflection on some of what goes on but I hear lots of good stuff too.  Then I have to type the stuff up – much less fun. Anyway, by the end of my stint I was giving other people direction around the campus. And I’ve met some great people who I hope will fetch up in Oxford sometime soon.
Finished my report with half a day to spare, grabbed the bike and did one of Perth’s most stunning  rides – 20kms around the Swan and Canning rivers. Resisted  swimming until I got to the beach at Freemantle. Swim, salt and pepper squid watching the sunset then back to Perth on the train.
Shit – forgot I was supposed to be packing my stuff to move out of my flat tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment