Monday 12 March 2012

A new pet

It's early morning and I am as yet without shoes or eye aids when, out of the corner of my eye I saw something black, about 6 inches long and no thicker than a pencil slither away into the laundry cupboard.

With stout shoes on and contact lenses in I bravely investigated and found my visitor curled up with the dustpan and broom. This time when he slithered away I spotted too tiny front feet and, importantly, there was no hissing.

Checking in with colleaagues in the office I learnt that this was most likely a skink - not it's proper name I suspect; that they are (a) harmless (b) helpful in that they eat mosquitos (c) creatures of habit so that when they take up residence they tend to stay. I have looked for Slinky as I named  him every morning since but he has gone - could be that he fled to a more congenial home when I turned on the washing machine he was hiding undr.

No comments:

Post a Comment