Sunday 15 January 2012

Swimming with burgers

It rains Sydney in the summer - a lot - heavily. Still warm though in the mid twenties and lots of people don't seem to bother with waterproofing just get wet and dry out again.

I'm in a hostel full of young Germans - probably eurozoners are the only young people who can afford to travel now. Glad to have a room of my own - no need to wait for the bathroom .or to use the draughty eating area courtyard for  computing like the dormers. I do share the kitchen with groups of huge men cooking improbable amounts of meaty food. Supermarket salads are keeping my costs down nicely , with the occaional treal like dim sumfor lunch in China town today.

On to the swimming: there's over 100 pools in Sydney and I can feel a mild compulsion coming on. Lots of free seaside pools but not recommended after heavy rain because of the wash down from the city. I've started with the North Sydney Olympic pool (not those olympics - it was built in the 30's to creat work, so like out own dear lidos. This pool is accross  the harbour by ferry from downtown Sydney and right next to the Luna Park amusement park - fun in itself but swimming with the scent of fatty foods is not great. Nor is the $3 additioanl charge for hot shower water or f the $2 not refunded for a locker. Probably not going to be my favourite pool.....

2 comments:

  1. Great to hear that you're enjoying the trip so far. I appear to have signed up as a 'follower'!! Not quite sure what that means. Hope you don't get too wet in Sydney. Enjoy the views, the ferries and even Bondi!

    Alana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alana,

      Good to hear from you. I don't get enough internet time for my dollar to add photos but hope to soon.

      Weather turned fabulous after a couple of days. Lucky me!

      j x

      Delete