Monday 23 January 2012

Sidney in the sunshine

Apart from the odd heavy and prolonged shower Sydney has turned sunny and deliciously warm with just a cooling breeze. My last day tomorrow before heading on the train to Melbourne and I know I'll miss Sydney. I did all of the cultural/sightseeing I wanted to do on the earlier wet days, including catching up with the Picasso exhibition that I missed in London. Since then most days I'ce walked across a small local park to Central station, got a  city circle train to Circular Quay, caught a ferry accross the harbour and walked on coastal trails that I can hardly believe are part of a capital city. Most walks have had at least two swims. usually a good stroking swim in an ocean pool, netted off from the sharks followed later when I'm hot and dusty by playing with the waves on yet another fabulous beach.

Favourite days out -

Manly on the ferry, walk to the spit bridge bus back to town. i did this one last time I was here and it's just as good.  Loads of Eastern water dragons, which are rather startling large lizards about a foot long. the love to pose for photos and I will add one soon.

Paramatta by ferry. an hour long trip from Sydney harbour along the river. This was once the settlers' capital and the original governors' house is now a national trust property with reciprocal entry arrangements. Other than that Paramatta seems to be best known for its Westfield shopping centre where, wouldn't you just know ti, I bought some shoes...

Sunday with Kate, starting with couple of hours gardening in the local community garden she's involved in = veg in raised beds. Weird to see tomatoes and courgettes in January and the beans are nearly over - made me look forward to Easter and getting my garden going again. Kate has house sat in Wolvercote and  we renamed her community garden Wolvercote by sea. Then we went to the beach.

Coogee Bay women's pool followed by the cliff top trail to Bondi. Sadly too knackered to swim in the Bondi Icebergs poolwith its intimidating lap counting regulars, but I did swim at Clovelly bay on the way there

Been seeing friends too - Kate (of the community garden) and Margo from McQuarrie uni, Nick late of the Learning Institute and now at UTS, ex-colleage Jean who is thriving at UNSW and living enviably close to Coogie Bay, and Colleen and Mike, friends from long long ago and now mellow in retirement with five grandchildren. (My Jo's dad used to babysit the dads of those kids!). Every now and again, as with Kate's veg, I'm reminded that I'm in the other hemisphere - Colleen and Mike talking about putting solar panels on their north facing roof....

No comments:

Post a Comment